Friday, March 13, 2009

The terrible truth

There is something I have to say...


I'm more of a player than a DM.


I've spent way more time reading the PHB than the DMG, my favorite part of the monster manual is the monstrous races in the back, and I look forward to the PHB2 than I ever will for the DMG2.

Its true, and not only that, but when I try to DM it never goes as well as I'd like.

So, once my group is through with Keep on the Shadowfell, one of my players, Kami (currently Aiur), will take over with a campaign of his own.

I will still write my adventure journals, though possibly from the perspective of my character (or at least we'll see how well that turns out), and I'll post some of my ideas that I came up with for continuing from the end of the KotS.


Edit: in case you are wondering, I write this because in my second post, the first D&D session, I write about how proud I was of being a DM. Its fun, but I'm just saying that I'd much rather be a player.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd rather be a player. I GM for my kids and I also GM for OGN@YC (Open Game Night at the Youth Center). I also play 2e on Sunday afternoons with my Daughters D&D group.

Although I enjoy GMming, I prefer being a player.

Ravyn said...

I can't seem to make up my mind. On the one hand, nowadays I prefer being a player; I can focus all my attention on trying to figure out what to do about the situation from one viewpoint, rather than being scattered between several. On the other, I can't not GM; most of my favorite things to do come from variable characterization, creating and describing new locations, adding details to the world at large, and generally being a worldbuilder. It's just herding PCs that annoys me.

I guess it depends on how cooperative the group's being.