Friday, November 6, 2009

4e Player Vs. Player Concept

Something that I have been wanting to try for a while, to be able to pit my character ideas against someone else's.

Be they machines of destruction, some off the wall half-baked ideas, or an invincible tank.

But the problem with this is getting it to work... and not just have it be "Whoever dumps the most dailies first and hits wins." as Wyatt Salazar put it, but have it so that characters might have a chance against just about any other same level characters.

After a small discussion on twitter, it was theorized that 3 on 3 matches with one player per team would probably work out the best. The 3 character limit would force the player to pick their character's roles carefully.

I would have liked to have a 1 on 1 match, but maybe we can save that for later.


now, the next step is to find a means to do this online. There has been a lot of talk lately about RPGs on google wave. I have yet to try it but will soon. Suggestions also included fantasy grounds/skype or maptools/skype, (thanks to Gamerfiend)

After that I will figure out the maps and anything else that I can think of.


So, discussion time!
Leave a comment if you have an answer for
A) Is the 3 on 3 a good idea?
B) What would be the best way to attempt this online?
C) Should there be anything more complicated than a plain featureless map?
D) Do you want to try it?

3 comments:

Wyatt said...

a) Yes.

b) Maptools or Fantasy Grounds of Gametable or something of the sort.

c) I think having interesting terrain would add to the notion that whoever's the best tactician would win. Anyone can pick a build off the optimization boards and godstomp on a featureless plain. Taking advantage of terrain with powers, differing altitudes, traps and other difficulties would set the real tactical masters apart.

d) No. Like I said over twitter, the premise of PvP team battles, while a nice thought exercise, is pretty much the most boring sort of gaming I can imagine.

MacGuffin said...

ok, so I will have to find/create a map to use...

and I'm sorry to hear that you would find it boring, the whole reason I would want to try this would be to use the characters that I create but won't ever get into a regular game.

satyre said...

a) Yes.
b) MapTools is good.
c) Do a Roman-style gladiator arena; have obstacles; weapons, wild beasts on chains, traps. Make it fun.
d) PVP is OK for a one-shot but you don't want to make too often a habit of it. If you want to run with the gladiator concept you can have the players put together in teams to fight NPCs.